Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas, cookies and those of us who don't bake

Another Christmas has come and gone and with it a slew of cookies, sweets and treats. For whatever reason (okay, for the simple reason that they're fabulous and organized and super-thoughtful), our friends loaded us up with shiny gift bags and colorful plates packed full of chocolates, sprinkled cookies, syrupy morsels and other yummy, can't-say-no goodies. And while I was absolutely thrilled to receive them all, I was also a bit unnerved. How could I possibly reciprocate? I'm not a baker. I love, love, love to cook, but baking just isn't my cup of tea (and by the tastes of it, it isn't exactly my forte). Yet, I needed and wanted to do something. 

So, my question is this - What do you non-bakers do/give/exchange at the holidays? Wine, poinsettias, a good book? I'd love hear your comments and suggestions. 

In the meantime, my answer this year was a batch of homemade carrot-cake mini muffins (a bit too sweet, but it's the thought that counts, right?) divided among gift bags, a sprinkling of chocolate kisses and a bottle of wine or an organic chocolate bar. I'll be waiting for your suggestions for Holiday 2009!

1 comment:

  1. I think giving an ornament is a great way of not cooking, yet letting someone special know you are thinking about them. An ornament can be the gift, transform a package, a wreath, or window. They don't just have to hang on the tree anymore!

    Kurt

    ReplyDelete