Sunday, February 1, 2009

Random Silliness - What Couldn't You Live Without

Imagine you're stuck on a deserted island. No, not Maui. This island is out in the middle of nowhere (but it's a warm nowhere). Unlike my favorite television show, you don't have access to the many luxuries provided by a downed 747 or "the hatch." Here's what I want to know: what 5 items would you have to have in order to survive? What couldn't you live without and WHY? Here's my list:

1. Dental Floss - I am a religious flosser. I could brush my teeth until I was blue in the face, but if I haven't flossed, I haven't cleaned my teeth. I feel pretty confident that I could fashion a toothbrush and some sort of "paste" from items found on the island, but I'm not willing to risk searching for a (leafy?) floss substitute. So, a supply of floss that lasts the duration of my "visit." NOTE: could double as fishing line

2. Sunscreen - I'm operating under the assumption that I will be rescued or will self-rescue (see #5 below). Skin cancer aside, I'm not excited about the idea of returning home to (a mirror of) sunspots and wrinkles. Plus, I'm Irish. Living sans sunscreen isn't an option.

3. Sunglasses - I'm so light-sensitive, I wear shades on the grayest of days. I'd want a pair that never scratches, never stretches out, and never, ever loses one of those annoying little screws.
NOTE: the lenses could help direct the sun when trying to light a fire

4. A vast collection of books - I'm going to have some time to kill. Fiction, non-fiction, essays ... you name, I want it.

5. My husband - For the obvious (really? you want me to spell it out? My mother could read this) and the utilitarian. My husband is THAT guy. You know the one. He can fashion pretty much anything out of any thing. A former river guide and Outward Bound instructor, he knows his way around the backcountry, has trained in emergency medicine, and can jerry-rig all sorts of useless stuff into very useful apparatus. But, most importantly, he's a wooden boatbuilder. He went to the Harvard of boatbuilding schools (yep, that's what they call it). We're stuck on an island. The island is surrounded by ocean. He's a boatbuilder. Brilliant. 

Okay, your turn...

 

1 comment:

  1. With the risk of sounding redundant, I would bring my husband as well.

    1.My husband- also THAT guy. U.S. Army Engineer, Survival Instructor, carry your leatherman (Survivorman without the drama).

    2.Paper and pencils (lead and Prismacolor). I have to be able to write and sketch. Plus, it'll be good for a book deal when I get back to the mainland.

    3.A collection of books containing all my favorite authors. (hope it is a big island.)

    4.A LARGE tent. (to keep my library dry)

    5.Q-tips. I have a thing for Q-tips. It runs in my family. We will fight one another for the last one.

    We are also a floss family...but we CAN survive without it. We have learned to "improvise, adapt, overcome". I have been known to find a loose thread on a piece of clothing when floss is nowhere to be found. (there's no shame in that!)

    ReplyDelete