Saturday, January 10, 2009

How Clean are You?

If you've watched our latest video (and I hope you have at www.sixminutestyle.com), you know we've been focused on vinegar as a safe, green and affordable home cleaning solution.

Walk through any grocery store and you'll find shelf after shelf of chemical-laden cleaning products. One for this job, one for that job. And yet more bottles and products for every other imaginable (or not imaginable) home cleaning situation. Ever read the ingredients? Ever considered how much of your body is coming into contact with them? From kitchen counters to floors to flatware to toilet seats (gross, maybe, but still...), we are almost constantly brushing up against one chemical or another. And yet ... here's vinegar. Ready and able to tackle most cleaning jobs, with no icky chemicals, fancy labels or million-dollar marketing campaigns. 

This translates into a product that is healthier and cheaper than pretty much everything else out there. Oh, did I mention that? It's really, really cheap. So, why aren't we all using it (I'm including myself in this as I still reach for many of my favorite and familiar cleaning solutions). Or are we? 

What are you cleaning with and why? What are your thoughts on the chemicals? Are you okay with them? Do you think the pros of some products outweigh the cons? Or, are you all green all the time? Share your thoughts, ideas and alternate cleaning solutions here.  

2 comments:

  1. My grandma swears by cleaning with vinegar...it's what she's always used and with all of her grandkids (around 40 or so), she trusts using it a safe cleaner that won't bring harm to any of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree that we are all exposed to way too many chemicals these days. I personally look for "healthy" alternatives to harsh cleaners though I can't say I've completely switched over. Vinegar does work pretty well but I find the smell a bit repulsive. I wonder if there's a way to mask the smell with essential oils or the like...hmmm. On another note, I do really like the new line of Clorox Green Works cleaners. So far, I have tried the toilet bowl cleaner and the all-purpose cleaner. Both smell pleasant (very mild) and seem to do a good job.

    ReplyDelete