Thursday, January 22, 2009

Drugstore Beauty Update



Our Drugstore Beauty episode is up and running on our YouTube page, so I thought it would be a good time for a quick update. Also, given the tough economic times, drug store beauty products are a much better fit for many budgets:

1. We said we were digging L'oreal True Match foundation and still are. I personally like it so much, I've given up my more expensive department store brand. True Match is light, sheer coverage that doesn't settle into lines and wrinkles. 

NOTE: Makeup artists recommend using less makeup as we age for this very reason. Heavy foundations and powders call attention to dry, older skin, often settling into fine lines and wrinkles. Your best bet is to use foundation sparingly and only where truly needed.

2. Still loving the pink and green bottle of Maybelline Great Lash mascara. Why spend more? The professionals don't.

NOTE: I received a comment from a YouTube viewer recommending that I not repeatedly pump the mascara wand in and out of the tube. She's right. It isn't necessary and actually dries out the mascara (clumps, anyone?).  Bad me. No more pumping!

3. I've added to my Olay skin care regimen. In the episode we singled out the Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum. Now, with the struggling economy tugging at my purse strings, I've replaced my oh-so-pricey moisturizer (recommended and sold to me by my aesthetician) with Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. And you know what? My skin looks great. I haven't lost a thing, but certainly have saved a few bucks! What are your favorite drug store beauty products? What products would you refuse to purchase at a drug store? What items are you willing to splurge on? 
  




2 comments:

  1. A tip from Tia...I only use Dove soap on my face. It is full of moisturizer, so does not dry out my skin (which is pretty sensitive). Whenever I try using standard, specialty made face washes, my face breaks out like a crazy person. I always go back to the Dove. And love it. And can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have been buying cosmetics in the least likely places these days: Target and Bath & Body Works. Love the Patricia Wexler line - esp. night "repair" cream in red jar which is just the right, light consistency (the heavy products make me feel like an old crony). My other recent discovery are Boots lipsticks at where else...Target. Great colors, no odor and they stay on for a long time.

    ReplyDelete