Monday, January 5, 2009

What We're Doing - Zumba

Do you Zumba? I'm hooked. Zumba is a Latin-infused dance workout that incorporates footwork, dance moves, music and instruction into a core-shaping, hip-swiveling exercise routine. It's so much fun, you'll forget that you're actually burning calories. Go to class with an open mind and willingness to learn and don't worry about how you look (trust me - I looked far sillier that first class). The best part? You'll find yourself laughing as hard as you are sweating. 

My first Zumba experience went something like this: I'm stepping/dancing forward while much of the class is sashaying backward. They go right, I'm over there on the left. My arms are all over the place (really? I'm supposed to work them and my feet and my hips all at the same time?!).  I'm laughing so hard I can barely stand up and before I know it, fifty minutes has passed. And, yes, I am sweating. During my second class I was able to focus a bit more on my hips and core - and was better able to keep up with the footwork.  

Share your Zumba experiences here. What's your favorite part? Are you any good? Any tips for (me) beginners? 



No comments:

Post a Comment